Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Food Rules

Food Rules is the latest in Michael Pollan's what to/what not to eat writings. It is comprised of 64 relatively common sense rules for eating. Well, common sense for most people although we are an obese country so maybe I'm putting too much faith in America's sense. Anyway, Pollan swiftly describes little credences and adages that are easy to remember. My favorite, "No sweets, seconds or snacks on days that don't start with S."

Here's the thing about Food Rules. Each of these rules is less than a page. So, this book took me approximately 20 minutes to read. I almost feel like I shouldn't count it towards my 2010 total reading list but, I'm going to anyway because I am the keeper of my reading rules. So, while Food Rules is very easy to swallow (pun intended - ha!), you're not going to get a whole lot of background behind these rules. If you want a more in depth look at Pollan's theories, try reading his last book, In Defense of Food. In that one, you'll basically get these 64 rules followed by much more detailed descriptions. However, if you just want it in small bites (I'm on a roll!) stick with Food Rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!