Thursday, August 8, 2013

Beer Me: Brown Ales

We have entered somewhat of a beer lull, my friends. In case you were wondering, that’s why ‘Beer Me’ took a bit of a hiatus. At the start of each beer season, I can’t try the varieties fast enough. I’m looking forward to my old friends and discovering new flavors in some adventurous brews. However, as the months wear on and I’ve tried everything that looks interesting to me, I start to have trouble finding new options in the cooler. Lately, everything is all IPA, all the time. And I think we know how I feel about that. Before you scold me, I have tried a couple IPA’s just to be sure I still hate them. (I do).
But, guess what? The Oktoberfests are just peaking their caps around the corner. It may only be August (or already be August, depending on who you ask) but we are screaming towards fall beers and the Oktoberfests are the precursor to the holiest of beer seasons, PUMPKIN TIME.
What I have for you today is not an Oktoberfest or a Pumpkin but I think they provide a nice bridge from the shandies to the autumnals.
Source

Hazel Brown: This is only available in the Sam Adams Fall Sampler Pack which is a crying shame. It is one tasty brew. Rich in color and warming in taste, the hazelnut smacks your taste buds full blast. Very smooth at only 25 IBU's (International Bitterness Units)
From the site: "This flavorful dark brown ale has a distinct hazelnut aroma and taste.  Slightly sweet caramel and toffee malt notes accentuate the pleasant roasted hazelnut character.  This medium-bodied brew finished smooth with an underlying spiciness from the hops."
 How's that description to just ease you into fall when you might not want to say goodbye to summer? Embrace it.

Ellie’s Brown Ale: This one comes from Avery Brewing Co. and I believe it’s available year round. It has chocolate and vanilla flavors and is just all around tasty. You can buy it in a 6-pack for a price I can't recall but it's reasonable. Less than $10, I think. Oh, it also comes in cans!
From the site: "This beautiful, deep russet brew has the sweet and somewhat nutty character of Adam Avery’s late (1992-2002) Chocolate Lab, for which it is named. Chocolate malt gives this beer a brown sugar maltiness with hints of vanilla and nuts, while subtle hopping gives it an overall drinkability that’s second to none–just like Ellie!"
If you've never tried a brown ale and are looking for something a bit more flavorful and richer than the summer offerings, give one of these a try!
What are you drinking these days? Always looking for suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. These were both tasty brews. Avery's was distinctly chocolatey and the Hazelnut was a real treat.
    ww

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!