Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hair Product Fail

A lady should never reveal if she colors her hair but, I'll let you in on a secret. Just between you and me.....I've colored my hair since high school. Shocking, but true. I don't even really know what my natural color is anymore. I am quite afraid of letting the color grow out just to find that I'm not the blonde I was growing up. It's a shame I cannot face. To head off embarrassment at the forefront, I color regularly. Varying shades, highlights, etc. but my stylist always treats me right. She's the best. Being the best, she likes to recommend hair products when I'm at the salon. I don't know if this makes her the best, or just a good saleswoman, but, it works. So, when I went from brunette back to blonde earlier this year, she recommended a sulfate-free shampoo. It was AG's Colour Savour and it was glorious! It smelled delicious. It was also $20 for a less than 8 oz. bottle. The Colour Savour conditioner was the same price. Now normally, I wouldn't spend $40 on hair products in one go but this day, I asked John to pick it up for me when he was having his hair cut. "Don't buy it if it's more than $20," I said, not knowing the cost initially. Well, he came home with both bottles and said, "It was exactly $20, so I bought them anyway." What a guy. Months later, on the verge of empty bottles I thought, I'm not spending $40 again. I'm going to try to find another sulfate-free line.

Thus......the fail. Oh sure, I was enticed by the commercials for L'Oreal's Everpure sulfate-free line. Knowing the cost of L'Oreal and that I could purchase it at my local Drug Mart, I was pretty stoked. I had read a review somewhere that a user liked the available scents too. Perfect. I marched myself down to the corner and started sniffing. There are two scents available, Rosemary Mint and Rosemary Juniper. Now I don't know about you, but I'm not too fond of smelling like a hippie, which is what these reminded me of. That, or chicken. I smelled both over and over and chose the lesser of two evils, Rosemary Mint, thinking it would maybe be invigorating.

Excited to try my new purchase, I lathered up. The smell was off-putting but I figured it would fade throughout the day. It's never good when you're hoping a product you use wears off. That should have been a clue. I used the Everpure for a total of 3 days. By the third day I realized I was suffering from what some other reviewers were, flat head. The shampoo weighed down my hair like crazy making it limp and lifeless. Though it didn't look greasy, it certainly felt greasy. Also not good. So, while I only paid $6.99 for it, I'm stuck with a whole bottle of this unusable shampoo. I will say, I bought the "moisture" one because that scent was preferable. They also had sleek shine or something, although I can't see how that one would help the life in my hair. And volumizing, probably should have bought that one. Hindsight. Anyway, if you're looking for a sulfate-free product to prolong your color, pass on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!