Monday, September 30, 2013

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls

I’m a little backed up on my book reporting. I guess I’m a little backed up on blogging all together. After nearly 5 years of blogging, I think I’m just a little burned out on trying to crank out posts 4-5 times a week. That’s probably been pretty obvious over the last several months with weeks of silence going by. I appreciate each and everyone one of my readers, most of whom, I’m assuming, are friends and family. This blog will not make me famous, that’s for sure. But, I’d like to think my readers appreciate me too if not just for a little chuckle or smile or pearl of wisdom. Even if those pearls are just which beer is best this week or which book to read. Thanks for sticking around, is what I’m trying to say.
Onto more pressing issues……..Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls is the latest offering from my favorite humorist, David Sedaris. I just plain love his stuff. If you haven’t read anything by him, start with one of the earlier ones (Barrel Fever or Me Talk Pretty One Day) and power through.

Source
Good Reads’ Synopsis: "A guy walks into a bar car and...
From here the story could take many turns. When this guy is David Sedaris, the possibilities are endless, but the result is always the same: he will both delight you with twists of humor and intelligence and leave you deeply moved. 

Sedaris remembers his father's dinnertime attire (shirtsleeves and underpants), his first colonoscopy (remarkably pleasant), and the time he considered buying the skeleton of a murdered Pygmy. 

With Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls, David Sedaris shows once again why his work has been called "hilarious, elegant, and surprisingly moving" 

What I Thought: Nothing beats a book that can make you laugh. I like books that make you cry too, heck I just like books that make you feel something, anything. But laughter, that’s the best, right? There were several times reading this in the car that I chuckled out loud and John said to me, “You’re just cracking up over there, aren’t you?” I like essay compilations and short anecdotal stories such as those found in this book because they’re easy to swallow and totally manageable when you don’t have a lot of time to slog through never-ending chapters. If you’re a Sedaris fan, you’ll like this just as much as his others. Promise.

Rating: * * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!