Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Back on the Wagon

This weekend, to shockingly little fanfare, I had a cup of coffee. Unremarkable, I know. More remarkable when you know that I haven't had coffee since last December. I made the switch to tea as part of my New Year's resolution and a quest to cut out sugar. Tea gave me a much-needed morning jolt sans sugar. Tea, however, is not something I crave. I didn't really look forward to that morning cup. I tried mixing it up, chai, green, chamomile. It just wasn't as comforting as coffee.

On the weekends, I would stare longingly at John's cup of coffee while sucking down my Orange Ceylon. What I've discovered over these last nearly 7 months of fasting is that cutting those calories didn't seem to help me lose any more weight or magically make my stomach flatter. I, of course, have still been working out 6 days a week but I can't seem to break through this doggone plateau. Why am I depriving myself of something that I truly love when I'm not seeing any benefits from it?

The straw that broke the proverbial camel's back came in the form of coconut creamer. I spotted my beloved Coconut Creme Coffeemate in the cooler and had to have it. We at the G. Household are big fans of flavored creamers, especially holiday ones. The creamers John's been buying lately have no draw for me. They too are unremarkable. Coconut? That's another story. I am a fiend for coconut. I purchased that creamer, in the jumbo size.

Saturday morning, I put a K cup in my Keurig and brewed away. I took my first sip. While it was good, the choirs of angels I had been expecting to float down on high were not there. Sure, I enjoyed it but it was slightly bitter to me. In goes the sugar. I had told my sister that perhaps I would be able to just use creamer and it would be sweet enough. I was wrong. I'm also a fiend for sugar, it seems.

There you have it. I've turned back to the dark side. Only on weekends. Give me a little credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!