Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lookin' Good (or not)

You know you’re probably not looking so great when one of the pieces you’ve selected to wear is destined for the Goodwill pile. I pulled this sweater out knowing full well it would be experiencing once last hurrah at work today. I’ve had it for a number of years. It’s had a good run but it’s short all over. Sleeves and waist. Not a good look for me.

I spent the better part of the day lamenting my appearance in front of the bathroom mirror. Is there anything worse than knowing you look crappy? In this case, I even tried to make an attempt today that has gone afoul. I can understand when you just don’t feel like putting in the effort. On those days I end up in khakis and some shapeless, solid color shirt, praying that no one comes in to see me. I’m sure you have this type of outfit to put on too when you’re just not feeling it.

There are often times when I want to purge 90% off my closet and start over. Unfortunately, my bank account will not accommodate this urge to purge. I finally switched out my summer/fall clothes for winter on my closet shelves a couple days ago. With the final sweater folded and placed on the pile, I realized I had three more still to fit up there. Is the lesson here to stop buying, or donate to make room for the new? I’m going to go with the latter. Hence, today’s plum wrap sweater will go in Goodwill bag with my jean skirt (another old friend that took me YEARS to find a suitable replacement for) and a number of too short shirts that John is getting rid of.

I think some of the sweaters know they’re on the outs. Since I’ve made the seasonal switch, Ohio has experienced somewhat of a November heat wave. My office is sweltering and it’s not much better at home but I refuse to turn the air back on for a few days. I can tough it out. Anyway, the sweaters, I think, are responsible for causing this heat wave as some sort of last laugh. Also in cahoots is my winter bedding, which I changed to last week. For the past 3 nights I’ve had to turn on 2 fans and open the window because of the weight my comforter brings. Sheesh! I guess I shouldn’t complain. It will be warmer than this in Texas, which I am greatly looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!