Sunday, November 8, 2009

Wishful Drinking

I decided to read Wishful Drinking, a memoir by Carrie Fisher because it’s supposed to be a very funny one woman show. I thought the book came first but I’m pretty sure she wrote the book after the show began. Anyway, it’s won awards and whatnot so I thought the book would be funny. Fisher’s biggest claim to fame is that she was Princess Leia in the Star Wars movies. I’m not a Star Wars fan, but I got Wishful Drinking from the library nonetheless.

In a brief 150 pages, Fisher discusses her substance (drugs and alcohol) addiction issues. Name drops her life history from childhood and moves rapidly up through her adult years to her current marriage. Yes, I just summarized the book in 2 sentences, it was that short. I gotta say, I was not really a fan of this one. It felt like it never went anywhere. I’m not even sure what the point was. Was it to talk about her issues with alcohol or to say how she overcame them? Both of those things happened, sort of, but overall I felt like it missed the mark. Also, I finished it in under 2 hours….never a good sign. What I will give her is the numerous one liners. While I did find myself laughing out loud at some of them, they weren’t enough to redeem Wishful Drinking for me.

Oh, well, on to Book #43.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!