Saturday, September 25, 2010

Weekend Re-cap....last weekend that is

What a great weekend we had recently! I have so much to report and only so many days in a week to blog. We are relishing these last couple weekends in September. As soon as we finally close on the house, there will be no more free time. All time will be wholly devoted to painting, cleaning and moving for the foreseeable future. This is sort of a shame because there are lots of upcoming area events I would like to attend but I know we won’t have time, or will be too tired by the time Saturday night rolls around. So, in the meantime, we’re keeping busy!

This past weekend we went to 2 such fun events and had a great (though fatty) date night. On Saturday, my local library (Ashley’s fave hangout) was having Barktoberfest! This was an event for dogs and it was great fun. On the front lawn, many pet vendors were set up at tables and in tents. There were lots of dogs in attendance and of course, we brought Sadie. We got free samples of dog treats (for Sadie, not us) and coupons and I donated to 2 great groups, the library (YEA!) and SICSA (an animal shelter). John and I even indulged in some custard. It was delicious. Sadie thought so too!

Here is Sadie with her snout stuck in a custard cup

In the evening, we went out to dinner. I ate way too much. This reduced calorie lifestyle has shrunk my stomach. I realize that’s the point but when I want a burger and fries, like I ordered for dinner, I don’t want to feel like a heifer for the rest of the night. Let that be a lesson to me, I guess. After dinner, we saw The Town. It was good. I like a good heist movie and it had been ages since we went to the theatre together. There always seem to be movies that we think look interesting and we never quite make it to them.

On Sunday, we took a nice drive on country roads to Hidden Valley Fruit Farm’s Apple Daze. This is a great place. There are hayrides we’ve never been on and apple picking that we’ve never participated in but, you can go to just buy their apples too! That was why we were there. It was a sunny day and though not very fall-like, we sampled our first apple cider of the season. It was delicious. So cold and crisp! We bought some freshly picked apples, split a BBQ pork sandwich and ambled back home in an apple daze. Get it?

I also tried 3 new recipes which were all winners! That rarely happens. There was plenty of football to watch, of course – not the highlight of the weekend for me.


This is Hungry Girl's guacamole. I was skeptical because it uses peas and corn in addition to avocado and tomato but it was great! And low cal. Plus I made those tortilla chips. So easy!


We’ve got another busy but fun weekend coming up before the hectic life of new homeowners begins for us. I’ll relax while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!