Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Furry Skurry

This past weekend, John and I laced up for our first race in a long time. A really long time. As in, more than a year. It rained the whole time but this 5K still felt awesome! The race was called the Furry Skurry because it benefits the Humane Society of Dayton.


The course was in a business park so not much excitement to see but it was flat as a pancake which helped both John and me PR. That's a personal record for you non-runner readers out there. It was my fastest raced 5K at 28:19. I held a 9:06 average pace which wasn't tough and then made me feel like I should have given more effort after I finished. I came in 7th in my age group. If that sounds impressive just know that there were only about 200 runners.

John, however, really killed it! He ran a 23:54 and came in 3rd in his age group and 12th overall. SUPER proud of him.

Because the race benefited the Humane Society of Greater Dayton, you were able to run with your dog, if you wanted. We opted out of bringing Sadie knowing just exactly how crazy she would have been with all those other dogs around. Plus, she can only sprint for about a half mile before she's done and we wanted to have good races.


Now, the rain. I do not run in the rain. If it's raining, it's treadmill time. Unfortunately, when you register for a race well in advance, you never know what the weather will have in store when the gun goes off. It was only in the low 60's and there were varying degrees of heaviness with the rain throughout the morning. Luckily, I threw in my visor at the last minute. Thank God! It helped keep the water out of my eyes. We were all soaked to the bone by the time we were done. And all dogs were soaked too. There was a permanent wet dog aroma in the air.

Despite the rain, we had a great time and supported a very worthy cause. Can't wait to sign up for another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!