Sunday, June 22, 2014

Recipe Reblog: Summer Salads and Smores

A couple weekends ago, we hosted my brothers-in-law for a few nights. A good time was had by all! And, good food was eaten by all, as well. Here are the new recipes I tried.......


Southwestern Grilled Sweet Potato Salad: I wanted to do a potato salad that wasn't mayonnaise based. I love mayo but not everyone does. This recipe jumped out at me because it also used sweet potatoes. While I really liked all of the flavors in the corn, black beans, cilantro, etc. it was pretty time consuming. You have to grilled the potatoes and corn first and then mix everything together. There is no real dressing to speak of, just lime juice. I omitted the avocado so maybe that would have added more of a creaminess? It was light and tasty but only if you have the time to put into it by grilling the veggies ahead.

Quinoa Salad with Watermelon and Feta: When I announced this as a potential side, I was met with skepticism. I insisted it would be refreshing and delicious as a friend of mine proclaimed. I cooked the quinoa the day before so it would be cool when mixed but you probably don't have to do it that much ahead. The watermelon and feta played nicely off each other. The light dressing gave it a brightness that was perfect for summer. It was a hit with those skeptics and I plan on making this a lot more throughout these warmer months.

Soft and Gooey Loaded Smores Bars: Not interested in pulling out the fire pit but still wanting the smores flavor, I decided these bars would fit the bill. These mixed up very quickly in one bowl and were gooey-ing up in the oven in minutes. I ended up adding about 10 minutes to the baking time because I didn't feel like they were setting up. I also refrigerated them prior to cutting into squares. They were gooey and GOOD! The pan was quickly devoured and I will definitely be making these again in the future.


What have you been making lately? Any recipes I must make? Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!