Sunday, July 22, 2012

Recipe Reblog #23

Back in action this week with a number of new recipes for you.

Whole Wheat Baguette: It's been awhile since I made my own bread but I love doing it so much. I love the smell of it baking and how tasty it is straight from the oven. What I liked about this recipe was the whole wheat quotient and the fact that it produces 4 loaves. You can freeze them unbaked so that whenever you want fresh bread, you can pop it in the oven and voila! Thus far I've cubed it and dipped it in olive oil, used it for bruschetta toasts and made mini egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches. So versatile!

Bob Harper's No Oil Hummus: I've been wanting to make my own hummus for awhile but most recipes call for tahini. It took me months to locate this in any grocery store and when I finally found it, I discovered it was upwards of $7 a jar. Not cool. This is a no oil hummus recipe from Bob Harper of Biggest Loser fame. It's included in his new book The Skinny Rules, more on that this week. A few changes I made to this one -- Lacking a food processor, I had to use a blender. This meant more liquid to get it going so the hummus isn't as tight as I'd like but it's still tasty. I added more lemon juice than it calls for and some fresh cracked pepper. Lemon Pepper Hummus at only 100 cals for 1/3 cup? Count me in! Also, it cost me less than a dollar to make. Take that, tahini!

I also made a Rachael Ray recipe that was a total dud so I'm not linking to it. It was a Smoky Chipotle Cheddar Mac & Cheese. I'm not sure how this is possible but it was so bland. Zero flavor. Pass on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!