Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What Am I Thinking

Well, I’ve gone and done it. I suppose it was only a matter of time before this happened. It seems like the next logical step in the progression of things. So, it shouldn’t come as any surprise to you that I’ve screwed up my nerve enough to register for a half marathon. I told myself I would register for a large, local race in September but then it sold out much faster than anticipated. Truthfully, I was somewhat relieved as I had become quite the doubting Thomas. I put it out of my head for a couple months until just recently the idea creeped its way back in. I had already been looking for other races when one of my best friends emailed me out of the blue and suggested we run a half together. Oh happy day! I really wanted an accomplice all along and that was just the kick I needed. We registered before we chickened out and are in week 1 of training. She hasn't run a half before either so we're in it together!
Week 1 is going great! This is most likely because the mileage is lower than what I normally run, only 3 miles per run. Ask me again how I feel around Week 8 or so. By October 14th, I hope to be fully confident in my ability to run 13.1 miles without dying. I’ll be following the Hal Higdon Half Marathon Novice plan that comes highly recommended by a slew of running bloggers.

Having a goal like this is scary and exciting. I’ve got to commit to running more outside miles and possibly in inclement weather instead of training in my cushy digs on the treadmill. I’m reminded each time I run outside that it’s so much more difficult to propel yourself forward than to be moved forward by a rubber belt. It also means I need new shoes post haste. Mine are squeaky and have 400+ miles on them. Must remedy that.
I think this means I’m a runner now. Right?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!