Sunday, August 19, 2012

Recipe Reblog

I’ve been trying to mix up my diet and incorporate a lot more protein, especially on days that I do strength training. I used to be afraid of the fat in protein but I got over that. You should too!

Overnight Oats: These are all the rage in the blog world but if you don’t read any cooking or health blogs, they might be new to you. There are lots of reincarnations of Overnight Oats and for my first foray into the subject I tried three different varieties and played around with the amounts a bit.
Day 1: (no pic, sorry): ½ cup rolled oats, ½ cup plain Greek yogurt, ½ cup skim milk. Mix it all up, put it in the fridge. In the morning, you can eat it cold but I threw it in the microwave for 20 seconds to take the chill off. First bite was…..tangy. If you’ve never had Greek yogurt before, you probably won’t like the plain version of this. I am a Greek yogurt lover and still decided to add some cinnamon and about a teaspoon of brown sugar. That helped a lot!
Day 2: Same ratios on the ingredients but this time I threw in a squirt of honey and a few blueberries and strawberries. I really liked the addition of fruit but today, the oats were kind of soupy.

Day 3: Overnight Oats in a Jar. This is probably the most popular version I come across online and I can see why. I went a little lighter on the milk today, only about 1/3 cup. Then, I used an empty peanut butter jar that was destined for the trash. The mixture takes on the PB flavor plus in the morning you can scrape up those delicious left behind traces of peanut buttery goodness. I also added some strawberries but no extra sweetener. Much better with less milk, and you can use any kind of nut butter (almond, cashew, etc.)
The downside to this breakfast is that buying the extra Greek yogurt costs more than the instant oatmeal I was eating 3 mornings a week (cold cereal on Tuesdays/Thursdays). But, it helped me add more protein and it shakes things up a bit. Plus, the instant oatmeal that John also eats will last longer if I’m not eating it.
Verdict: I’ll keep adding this into my diet when possible. I’m really looking forward to mixing in pumpkin this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!