Monday, August 20, 2012

Ultramarathon Man


Source


For a little motivation as I continue through my half marathon training, I read Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner by Dean Karnazes. This is the second book of his I’ve read but it’s the first one he wrote. This man is amazing! Ultramarathon Man chronicles how he came to be a runner, the heart and strength behind his races and perseverance, and what brought him to the ultra stage of the spot. Karnazes talks about the first time he ran the Western States 100, a 100 mile foot race through the mountains that he attempted to finish in 24 hours, his attempts at the Badwater Ultra (racing through the desert), and a chilly marathon in Antarctica. I found his story very interesting and really enjoy his writing as well. As he discussed some of the pain and strife he encounters on his runs, I was right there with him. It definitely solidified the fact that I do NOT aspire to be an ultra runner. However, I applaud all that he’s achieved.
A fast and captivating read, even for non-runners. But, give it a try especially if do lace up on a regular basis.
Rating: * * * ½



No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!