Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Inferno

Source
Inferno is the latest Robert Langdon novel by Dan Brown. Unless you are living under a rock where books do not exist, you may recognize the author’s name as the guy behind The Da Vinci Code. I meant to get this book to read on our Europe trip but then decided against it. Judging by the amount of reading I actually accomplished while busy gallivanting (zero pages), I guess that’s not a bad thing. Instead, I waited for it on my Kindle and finally made it to the top of the list a month or so ago. I am behind on my book reviews.
Good Reads’ Synopsis: "In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centered on one of history’s most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces . . . Dante’s Inferno.
Against this backdrop, Langdon battles a chilling adversary and grapples with an ingenious riddle that pulls him into a landscape of classic art, secret passageways, and futuristic science. Drawing from Dante’s dark epic poem, Langdon races to find answers and decide whom to trust . . . before the world is irrevocably altered."

What I Thought: Wellllll, this is getting a bit formulaic. Robert finds himself unexpectedly in a crazy chase around the world, the love interest, the bad guy. If you’ve read any of Brown’s first three Langdon books, then you’ve read this one. I just couldn’t get into the Italian setting for some reason, either. I read Dante's Inferno in high school but this just didn't resonate with me. I supposed it was suspenseful but I didn’t really find myself trying to figure out whodunit. It fell a bit flat.

Rating: * * ½

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!