Thursday, August 29, 2013

Beer Me: Weyerbacher

Okay, folks. A couple special beers before pumpkin season (aka - the BEST beer season) is in full swing. Full disclosure: I've already sampled a few early pumpkin releases and I have not been disappointed. I may or may not have stalked some coolers with my fingers crossed.

But today, I have two to share with you from Weyerbacher Brewing Co. out of Pennsylvania. If you've seen anything by them in your stores, you know they don't come cheap. John likes to say, with that price tag, you better have the beer to back it up. That being said, I've never had a Weyerbacher that wasn't worth it.


Source


Insanity: This was on tap at a new local bar/brewery (more on that another day) that we discovered recently. Because their flight tasting was so reasonable, I just had to try it.

From the Site: "Insanity is made by aging our perfectly balanced Blithering Idiot Barleywine in oak bourbon casks. This incredible combination creates a mélange of flavors from rich malts, raisins, and dates to oak, vanilla, and bourbon."

Insanity is 11.1% ABV. It is best enjoyed in a brandy snifter and served at 45-55ºF."
What I Thought: O.M.Goodness. This was incredible. So much amazing-ness going on and even though I don't like bourbon straight, I love it in other things, especially beer. The aging process really brings out those bourbon flavors. This had a sweetness that I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, this is pricey (I think - don't hold me to it) at least $12 for the 4-pack but I think it's actually more than that. If you can find it on tap somewhere, go for it!

Source

Eighteen. This is from their anniversary series, having opened the brewery doors in 1993. A new brew is released each year to commemorate the brewery and their beginning.

From the site: "At 11.1% ABV, Eighteen is a big Weizenbock; a “Weizendoppelbock” to be perfectly clear! The malt bill is entirely German:  Wheat, Munich, Pils, Carawheat and Chocolate wheat.  Eighteen’s nose is reminiscent of a big dark Belgian-style ale with a touch of smokiness. The color is a hazy deep brown.  Eighteen features a complex combination of dark fruit and bready malts  with chocolate flavors that are perfectly balanced with spicy phenols and banana esters.  This unfiltered and bottle-conditioned ale has a creamy, textured mouthfeel and a warming finish."


What I Thought: I don't even know what it say about this but I liked it a lot. It's definitely got a spicy sweetness to it. If you are a bock fan, you'll like it. Sadly, it goes for at least $15- 4 pack. At our local gourmet grocer, a growler fill is $25. Yowza! As tasty as it is, try to find it on tap or at a tasting somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!