Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sisterland

I always get excited when an author I like releases a new novel. Reading it is like catching up with an old friend you haven't seen in awhile. So, when Curtis Sittenfeld's Sisterland came out recently, I knew what would be firing up my Kindle.





Good Reads' Synopsis: "From an early age, Kate and her identical twin sister, Violet, knew that they were unlike everyone else. Kate and Vi were born with peculiar “senses”—innate psychic abilities concerning future events and other people’s secrets. Though Vi embraced her visions, Kate did her best to hide them.

Now, years later, their different paths have led them both back to their hometown of St. Louis. Vi has pursued an eccentric career as a psychic medium, while Kate, a devoted wife and mother, has settled down in the suburbs to raise her two young children. But when a minor earthquake hits in the middle of the night, the normal life Kate has always wished for begins to shift. After Vi goes on television to share a premonition that another, more devastating earthquake will soon hit the St. Louis area, Kate is mortified. Equally troubling, however, is her fear that Vi may be right. As the date of the predicted earthquake quickly approaches, Kate is forced to reconcile her fraught relationship with her sister and to face truths about herself she’s long tried to deny.

Funny, haunting, and thought-provoking, Sisterland is a beautifully written novel of the obligation we have toward others, and the responsibility we take for ourselves. With her deep empathy, keen wisdom, and unerring talent for finding the extraordinary moments in our everyday lives, Curtis Sittenfeld is one of the most exceptional voices in literary fiction today."


What I Thought: I kept waiting for this to get better but it never really did. There was a good twist but even that fell flat for me. My sister and I are very close and I suppose I was hoping to find it relatable but because Violet is such a screw up, I didn't see us in either character. For me, this just wasn't Sittenfeld's best. Try American Wife or Prep instead.

Rating: * * 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!