Thursday, March 27, 2014

Beer Me: Southern Pecan

It may still be March, but the summer beers are tipping their toes onto shelves and taps all over the place. The spring beers have been out for awhile but I have yet to really try any of those either. Instead, today for you I have a warming brew since it's still quite cold here in Ohio.


This is Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale from Lazy Magnolia Brewing out of Mississippi. I'm not sure I've ever had a Mississippi beer before so here we are.

From their site: "Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category."

This was very nutty and toasty with a little sweetness to it as well, heavy on the pecan flavor. I find I like nut browns more and more lately. Lighter than a porter or stout but just as warming. At only 19 IBU's there was no bitterness to it at all, which I appreciated. At $8.99 for the 6-pack, this was a good buy as well. If you like brown ales, you won't be disappointed with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!