Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New Rules of Lifting for Women

I'm pretending that I whole-heartedly read The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler so that I can count it towards my totals. I actually read the first half and then I skimmed the last half. In my defense, the second part of the book was mostly charts, graphs, and illustrations. Anyway, I read good reviews that this book really helps to whip you into shape. As you know, I've been having some issues with my strength routine and the girth of my thighs. I've sort of cut back on the lifting but haven't measured my thighs to see my current progress. I digress. New Rules is a great informational read about nutrition, fitness, muscles, etc. Basically, an all around "this is what I think you should do to be healthy" book. Schuler successfully managed to add humor into what might be, for many, a mundane topic. I learned a lot about musculature and nutrition, like I said. There was a particularly disturbing section about how women who work their quads more than their hamstrings can end up stooped over when they're elderly. Just a word to the wise not to ignore your hammies!

All in all, I don't think I have the discipline to follow Schuler's routine but it seems simple enough. My main beef is he doesn't really advocate cardio and I LOVE cardio. He doesn't dismiss it but claims that his 3 day a week lifting routine will be all you need to tone and lose weight. I don't know if I buy that and I just don't think I could give up cardio. He's got good recipes in there for the meal plans too. I'm considering buying a used copy just for the recipes and maybe, down the road, if I really feel like I need to throw myself into strength, I'll follow it. New Rules is worth a read if you're looking for more information on incorporating lifting and it definitely puts forth a great plan if you're not concerned about cardio.

......in Zumba news........

My nemesis has shifted her focus of evil efforts on the instructor! Yesterday, we were all standing around waiting for class to start.

Nemesis: Uh, so, is she here?
Nemesis' Posse Member: Oh, I don't think so. I'm sure she'll get here soon.
Nemesis: Well, you're a lot nicer about it than I would be. (real bitchy)

Ouch! Ever heard of traffic, nemesis?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!