Tuesday, April 29, 2014

10% Happier

Dan Harris was pedaling this book on my morning radio show a couple weeks ago. Since then, it’s been steadily climbing the NY Times Bestseller List. As luck would have it, it was available at the library with nary a day’s wait.
Source


 Good Reads' Synopsis: "After having a nationally televised panic attach on Good Morning America, Dan Harris knew he had to make some changes. After learning about research that suggests meditation can do everything from lower your blood pressure to essentially rewire your brain, Harris took a deep dive into the underreported world of CEOs, scientists, and even marines who are now using it for increased calm, focus, and happiness. "10% Happier" takes readers on a ride from the outer reaches of neuroscience to the inner sanctum of network news to the bizarre fringes of America's spiritual scene, and leaves them with a takeaway that could actually change their lives."

What I Thought: This wasn’t really what I was expecting at all but it turned out okay in the end. I suppose I was looking for a bit more guidance about meditating and not letting yourself get stressed out. It was really Harris’ journey from, essentially, a nervous breakdown to seeking enlightenment (whether that exists or not remains to be seen). But his story is an interesting one and you get a lot of insight about his time at ABC and various experts he came to find. At the very end is a little information for beginner’s meditation. I haven’t put this into practice yet but I plan to. It’s amazing what a few eyes closed, deep breaths will do for you. Try it! If you are interested in hearing about someone else’s journey to live stress free and become happier, pick this one up. If you are looking for a true self-help book, this isn’t it. I did enjoy reading it though and am now on a journey of my own.

Rating: * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!