Monday, April 7, 2014

Thirty Plus One

Today is my birthday. Having your birthday on a Monday is the worst possible day you could choose. And yet here we are. Instead of dwelling on the monday-ness (mundane-ness?) of today, I choose to be thankful for another year.

Turning thirty was rough on my psyche. I was not pleased to be leaving a fun and fruitful decade but I was not given much of a choice. It's possible there were tears one year ago on April 7th. Today, there are no tears. I'm actually rather okay with turning 31. I'm taking this upcoming year as a chance to grow a lot more secure and sure of myself. With every year that passes, you should try to love yourself more, or at the very least, like yourself more. I find there are fewer things about me that are displeasing these days. Which is not to say that I am a displeasing person, just that I am becoming the person I think I'd like to be.

For instance.....

Last week, it rained a lot and two days in a row, I remembered to wear my wellies. I've owned those boots for 5 years and I can never manage to grab them when it's raining. Then, I'm left with wet feet and a frown. Now, however, I am smart enough to think ahead. That's what 31 will do for you.

Also, I finally deemed it time to get rid of the tan velour pants that I've owned since college. Not even senior year college either. We're talking under-age college days. Before you lambaste me for wearing said pants the last 10+ years, just know that they were not for public consumption and were only pulled on in the privacy and comfort of my own home. I also got rid of a sweatshirt that I purchased when I was 18. I am going on a tear through my closet and drawers. Nothing is safe. Because I'm 31, I need to look like I'm 31. Not a 31 year old grasping tightly to an age that doesn't suit her.

Fortunately for me, I'm also still in the best shape of my life. This year will be devoted to continued health. As we age, it's important to take better and better care of our bodies, yes? So, more greens, fewer processed foods and some killer workouts too. Ashley 31 is looking forward to smashing her 5K time that say Ashley 25 never could have dreamed of running.

To me, my thirties are for determining. Tastes have changed from things I used to like. They evolve and mature and I like that. I'm excited to tackle life. There is a little voice I hear says, "Get your stuff together. You're not 30 anymore. I let you mope about your age for a whole year. Get over it. You're 31."

Thirty-one, I'll be kind to you, if you promise to be kind to me. We are in this together.

1 comment:

  1. to my dear youngest daughter - I will always love you - and am very proud of you and the way you have grown and changed over the years - looking forward to your next 31 years - and more!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!