Wednesday, April 20, 2011

And I will walk 500 miles.....

OK, just kidding. I'm not going to run 500 miles but this past weekend, I did RUN FIVE MILES. FIVE FIVE FIVE FIVE MILES!!! F I V E MILES! All at one time. This is the most I've ever done. EVER! I ran it in 50:28. This is something I never in my life dreamed I would be able to do. When I first started running, I could only go for 45 seconds at a time before I had to walk. Over time, my walking intervals got shorter and my running ones longer until I was able to run an entire mile. Big accomplishment. It was sometime later that I was able to run a full 3 miles, which was huge for me. In school, I think my fastest mile was somewhere in the 14 minute range. How pathetic is that?! I loathed gym class, especially on running days. Now, running isn't something I despise, it's something that I tolerate and sometimes even look forward to because I know how healthy it's making me. Running is a total mental game too. I've only recently learned this. I didn't plan that 5 mile distance until just before I got on the treadmill and said to myself, "I'm going to do 5 miles today. If my pace is a little slower, that's okay." But, guess what? I didn't really have to compromise my pace at all. Does this mean I'm a runner? If so, I never thought that was something I could classify myself as. I can't wait to sign up for a few races this summer with John. Even though he's faster than I am, I still enjoy this as an activity we can tackle together and congratulate the other one on every victory, small or HUGE! P.S. I think I need new shoes. Another running bonus......shoe shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!