Monday, April 11, 2011

More Weighty Issues

Guys, I have hit a weight plateau for a number of months now. I'm so tired of it! I work out 6 days a week so you'd think I'd see some results. I've been upping my mileage on the treadmill and can now run 4 miles in just under 40 minutes. That's pretty huge for me. All this working out and decent eating (save for the occasional treat) should give me some downward movement on the scale, right? Wrong, I guess. Yes, I had a gluttonous weekend in Lexington a couple weeks ago but I'm totally back on track. Here's something I figured out. I think I look okay. My clothes fit fine and are getting looser. People keep telling me I look good. So, the scale shouldn't matter. I try to tell myself this all the time. It's a hard concept to grasp. I've been doing more strength too so I'm probably gaining muscle. And in that case, the scale really shouldn't matter. I used to be a once a week weigher. Then, I started sneaking in cheat weighing throughout the week and I would get discouraged when there was no progress. And then, because I apparently suck at keeping secrets, I would inevitably confess to John that I weighed myself. A vicious cycle. A week or so ago, I had him hide the scale. I made him do it while I was out of the house even so I wouldn't have any clue where it was. This past Monday, I also made the decision to go back to food journaling with my Lose It! app on my iphone. I had a lot of success with this last summer/fall and decided if I was serious about reaching my goal then I had best buckle down. It tells me I only get 1,423 calories a day to reach my goal. Maybe you didn't know but that's not that many. Yes, I can exercise so I can eat more but I also need to bank calories for my weekend wine, which I refuse to give up. A true diet luxury. OK, so I'm tracking my food and working out more and more and what do I do last night? Look for the scale to weigh myself. SHAMEFUL! Why am I so focused on that pesky number? As luck would have it, it was in the very first place I looked. Note to self: John is terrible at hiding things. But, I was pleased with the weight so I didn't have to be sad about it. And then I confessed later on because not only did I cheat weigh, but I also actually sought out the very item I asked him to hide. Double shame! If I could stop getting in my own way, maybe I would actually get where I'm going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!