Thursday, January 22, 2009

Book #2


Yesterday, I finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. For some reason, this took me a lot longer to read than books usually do but I'm going to chalk it up to being busy at work. Anyway, this one gets a big thumbs up from me. The story follows Oskar Schell on a sometimes laughable but mostly heartbreaking journey following his father's death in the WTC on 9/11. Foer's creation of Oskar is incredible and his story, and the stories of his near relatives, is poignant and thoughtful. The story moved along well and I found myself wanting to keep reading just to find out what happens to Oskar and see how he grows throughout the story while coming to terms with his father's death. My only complaint about the book is the spacing in some of the chapters. I understand it's for effect and yada yada but it made portions of it difficult to read and maybe I'm slow, but sometimes I couldn't figure out who was talking. Other than that, it was different from anything I've read in a long time, in a very good way. Foer also authored Everything is Illuminated which I haven't read but will certainly check out in the future. Foer is one to read and I'm glad I found him since I'm auditioning new authors. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!