Monday, November 14, 2011

Drama: An Actor's Education



I first heard a review of John Lithgow's memoir, Drama: An Actor's Education, on the radio. Somewhere smart, like NPR. An excerpt was read and I thought, "yeah okay, why not?" I checked it out from the library and got underway.


In Drama, Lithgow chronicles his life from growing up as part of a family that led a relatively nomadic lifestyle moving from city to city to sustain his father's career in the performing arts industry as a theatre festival entrepreneur/theatre program director and more. He spent a number of years in Ohio, which I never knew and was excited to learn. As a child, he didn't necessarily want to be an actor but spent his life growing up onstage, when needed, and backstage while watching his father work as an actor and director.


At Harvard, he studied performing arts and theatre and eventually was even awarded a Fulbright scholarship to study and act in London. Lithgow discusses his sometimes strained relationship with his father, his first marriage that began in his very early 20's while still a student, and the hardships of being an often unemployed actor just hoping to land his next gig.


I really enjoyed this memoir. I knew nothing of Lithgow's career and extensive theatre background. If I had to guess, my first experience of Lithgow's work was probably watching Harry and the Hendersons (classic 80's!) Throughout his writing, he seems like such a nice person with a good work ethic and positive attitude. I caught myself chuckling in many parts of Drama as well. It was an interesting and entertaining read.



Rating: * * * 3/4 (not quite 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!