Monday, November 12, 2012

Holiday Humbug


Things I Am Not Ready For:
-Christmas music
-Christmas decorations in stores
-Christmas decorations on houses in my development

Things I AM Ready For:
-Turkey
-Pumpkin Pie
-Mashed Potatoes
-Macy’s Parade
-Black Friday

……in other words, Thanksgiving!

I think it’s completely unacceptable that on November 1st I was inundated with Christmas at the mall, on TV and elsewhere. Look, I love Christmas just as much as the next girl. But, people. Do we really need to extend the season to a full 2+ months prior? Puh-lease. What about Thanksgiving? Respect the TURKEY! When people start asking for my Christmas lists in October, it’s too early. MUCH too early. I understand you’d like to get your shopping done but what happens when I think of something else I’d like to add to the list on December 8th. So sorry. Much too late for amendments or corrections to the list as everything has been purchased and wrapped. I’ve taken to throwing the request right back at whomever gives it to me. Tit for tat! And still, I have yet to receive lists from any (save for one) of those people who I obliged. Hmph.
Don’t even get me started on the stores that are opening on Thanksgiving and all those poor workers who, while I’m sure are thankful to be employed, are not necessarily excited to leave their families early.
Can we please all just remember that there is a holiday in November too? Don’t short-change me. And And AND! It’s a holiday centered around eating and by association, shopping. Let’s not overlook that marvelousness. And again! For me, it almost always, without fail, involves travel. That’s fine because traveling just happens to be one of my other favorite things in conjunction with shopping and eating. This year, we will be going to visit my sister, brother-in-law and nephew in North Carolina for the first time since they moved there. While I’m bummed to not be headed to Austin and that great Texas weather (and food!), I’m excited to explore a new destination. And though I do love travel, I do not always love the airport at Thanksgiving. This year, we are driving 9 hours instead. That is something to be thankful for, said the girl who hates driving. What I am thankful for is traveling on our own schedule, not having to pay outrageous ticket prices, not worrying about flying with Sadie, and having a vehicle at our destination.
In summation, and because I try not to complain on my blog too much (no one cares to read that), I will just please ask you to celebrate Thanksgiving with gustatory gusto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!