Sunday, November 11, 2012

Recipe Reblog: Sweet Potato Chili


Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili: A crockpot chili chock full of veggies including sweet potatoes? Count me in! I found this recipe online at Can You Stay For Dinner and thought it sounded tremendous. I have several chili recipes that I like but you can never go wrong with chili, am I right? However, there was some unfortunateness with this recipe. If your crockpot is smaller than 5 quarts, you will not, I repeat, WILL NOT, be able to fit in all the ingredients. We fully intended to add ground turkey but after throwing in everything else, there was no room. The turkey (or beef) was listed as optional so my sous chef and I decided that we’d go vegetarian for this chili. This was a mistake, and we were supposed to eat this for 3 nights. Gulp. While I found it overly tomato-y, yet tolerable, John ate his bowl with the worst look on his first and proclaimed he did “NOT LIKE” this recipe. Emphatic, to say the least. I made an executive chef decision and we added turkey for the 2 subsequent evenings. That helped tremendously. So, my advice on this is to make sure it’s meaty. And one more thing, the wildcard ingredient, sweet potato, didn’t pay off like I thought it would. I think there’s a reason no other chili I've had has potatoes in it. Even a tuber as lovely as a sweet potato. I did not appreciate the potato texture juxtaposed with the beans and turkey. Odd.
I suppose what I am trying to say is, cook at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!