Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Second Stitch Fix

My second Stitch fix arrived!
Unfortunately, I was not as enamored with my items as I was in the first Fix. In case you missed it, that post can be found HERE. I was so excited to get my second one having experienced the success I met the first time around but, sadly, I am underwhelmed.
Want to see what was included?

I actually like this black and white sleeveless blouse quite a bit. The design is like nothing in my closet and it’s a versatile piece that can be worn all year either layered in the winter or on its own in the summer. At $78, it’s not inexpensive but the quality is top notch. The cut, however, is not right for my body. It’s a bit big in the armpits and the cinched waist hits me at an unflattering spot. I was bummed it didn’t look great on me but I didn’t want to force it.



OK – I love a good maxi dress. Don’t we all? I especially liked this one because it’s form fitting through the waist and all my other maxi dresses are super flowy. However….where in the heck am I going to wear this? It’s pretty dang fancy and I don’t get invited to a lot of fancy places.


 John asked if I wouldn’t wear it to work? Uh, well, I suppose I could but I think I’d look a little overdressed. I offered New Years’ Eve as an option. That’s one night a year, folks, in case you’re keeping track. I feel as though I’d be looking for opportunities to bust it out and none would be presented. It’s $78, so not a bad price for a nice dress. I love the chevron skirt. But sadly, it’s going back.


This one. You guys. This COMPLETELY missed the mark. I don’t know who in their right mind wakes up in the morning and thinks, “Oh, today I should wear that sweater that adds about 50 pounds and kind of makes me look like a homeless person” but it ain’t me. If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all? Well, okay. I liked the color and I liked the pockets. Tell me, would you wear this?

I didn’t think so.

On the accessory front, we have a teardrop bib necklace in a bright emerald green. All the rage these days, yes? I liked this, but was a bit put off by the fact that it’s all acrylic. (read: plastic) Not even the gold beads and clasp are metal. I don’t mind spending $28 on a necklace and as bold as this is, I think I would get a lot of use out of it. But, $28 on a plastic necklace that feels pretty cheap. Color me unimpressed.
Last but not least…



We have a camel cowl-necked sweater with a hi-low hem and leather elbow patches. I am a total sucker for elbow patches. I don’t currently own anything with them but am in the process of adding them to a sweater I’m refashioning. This was a hit with me right away…..until I saw the price tag. 

When I started Stitch Fix, I told myself it was okay to spend more than I normally would on clothing because I was getting unique, quality pieces. Somehow, I cannot bring myself to say that it IS okay to spend $108 on a single sweater. It’s a wool/viscose/cotton blend so it’s not like it’s cashmere. And those elbow patches? They’re vegan leather. (read: pleather) John encouraged me to get it. Truth be told, I was having a rough day and John encouraged me to buy lots of the pieces. What a guy!
I wrestled with the idea of keeping this sweater for awhile but I only had 3 days to decide. I didn’t want to eat the $20 styling fee so I felt I HAD to buy something. Do I drop a hundy on myself right before Christmas? Or, do I spend $8 more and just keep the necklace that I hope won’t break? Does referring to one hundred dollars as a 'hundy' make me sound gangster?

These are all important questions. I think if it weren’t Christmas time and my credit card bill wasn’t giving me palpitations, I would have had no issues buying the sweater. But knowing full well that I’d be receiving clothing in a few short weeks anyway, I wavered.
In the end, I liked the sweater but didn't LOVE it and wouldn't get my money's worth out of it. I kept the necklace and sent everything else back. 
I did schedule a third Fix for myself to arrive in January. I requested to have the stylist I got the first time around because she did a great job. I asked for pattern and color and adjusted my styling profile a bit. I'm hoping that helps.
Don't let this dissuade you from trying Stitch Fix out for yourself. If you want to order your own Fix, use THIS LINK. I get a $25 credit if you do and that would make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!