Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Blessings

Blessings, by Anna Quindlen, was written in 2002 and while I tend to focus on more recent books, I picked this one up randomly at the library. I've kind of been in a reading slump lately. I'm hoping the one I just got will be good.....more on that later. Blessings is the tale of Lydia Blessings, an elderly practically family-less woman who bosses around her staff at her large home. Skip Cuddy lives above her garage and takes care of the grounds when he happens across an infant, left by her parents on the doorstep shortly after birth. Blessings weaves in and out of Lydia's youthful days and how lonely her present has become. Skip hides the child, rather unsuccessfully and what unfolds is a heartwarming and heartwrenching plot with some unforeseen twists.

I enjoyed Blessings. I've never read any of Quindlen's novels but I do catch her colum in Newsweek from time to time. This one is worth reading for a different story, and it's relatively quick. My biggest issue was that I read in my car at lunch and it's been pretty hot. I don't like to turn on the air and the heat makes me sleepy. Reading + Sleepy = Not the most thorough reading. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!