Thursday, July 30, 2009

Adventures in Audio Books

I decided to try a book on CD again. My horrendous commute coupled with the same old songs on the radio prompted me, and my sister, who is trying book on CD for the first time soon. Anyway, I never know what to choose. The last one I picked was narrated by Garrison Keillor who has such a mellifluous voice that it was putting me to sleep because I am not extremely awake at 6:30 am when I leave. I thought I would pick some chick lit, something light. I've enjoyed a number of Marian Keyes' books (Sushi for Beginners, and others I can't recall). So, I saw one by her, Last Chance Saloon, and snatched it up from my local haunt, the library. It's 16 CDs. That's a lot, if you didn't know. If you've never experienced a book on CD before, they don't usually read every single word that is printed before the book actually begins (i.e. the publisher, the dedication, etc.) But this one did, and it was a man with a thick English accent. I started to get a bit worried. After about 5 minutes of that, the book began. And because it is set in London, the narrator is British. Normally I rather enjoy a good accent. If there was any money in it, I would have been a linguist. However, I found this narration a little distracting. Then, as luck would have it, the main characters are Irish. So, the narration is British, the conversation is Irish and it's taken me until the 3rd CD to figure out if I've actually read this book as a book before. I don't think I have but some of it seems very familiar. I'll let you know how it all shakes out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!