Sunday, July 12, 2009

Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova is one that I keep seeing pop up on random lists of others' good reads so when I saw it on the Express shelf, I snapped it up. The story follows Alice, a 50 year old Harvard professor, through her diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer's disease and the rapid progression of her mind's deterioration. Told from her point of view, the path follows Alice's confusion and memory loss. Her desperation is palpable until eventually, the disease grabs too tight of a hold to her and she has lost everything she was.

Having never experienced this wretched illness firsthand, I wasn't sure what I would find in Still Alice. Genova has made a professional career of researching degenerative diseases as a doctor, professor, etc. so she knows what she's talking about. What I found was a story that I knew would be sad but was really devastating to read. That being said, I definitely recommend reading this one but with the absolute caveat that it is NOT a happy book. Just a warning. Anyway, check it out.

John and I saw Public Enemies last night which we really enjoyed. I am not head over heels for Johnny Depp like a lot of people are but he was HOT in this movie. Just had to say. I love Christian Bale though too so it was winner winner chicken dinner. Except for the teenagers talking for half the movie behind us. We should have moved but didn't. Oh well. Still worth watching, especially since we had coupons. Thank God! At some point, the price of movies at that particular theatre has sky-rocketed to $12.00. PER PERSON! Ridiculous. It'll be matinees from here on out.

And lastly, here's a recipe for your to try (I'm full of suggestions today). It's a Green Monster Smoothie . It seems like it would be gross because yes, you use a full cup of spinach. But I swear, you can't taste it! This is FULL of vitamins and fiber and protein. I'm hoping to use it as a breakfast replacement sometimes too. When else can you eat a cup of spinach for breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!