Sunday, July 19, 2009

Handle With Care

I had to wait for a long time on the hold list before I was able to check out Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult's latest. The was okaythough because I feel like I need to take a break from her after reading a few books of hers in a row. Anyway, Handle With Care is the story of 6 year old Willow who has osteogenesis imperfecta, an affliction that causes bones to break extremely easily, and family. Her mother, Charlotte, decides to sue her OB and best friend, Piper, in a wrongful birth suit. Throw in a snotty teenage daughter and a court case and you've got yourself a typical Picoult novel. The story was very interesting and what I enjoy about Picoult's books is her point of view change from character to character so we can hear the omniscient voice in each case. However, I was waiting and waiting for the Picoult twist and it didn't happen until the very end....and I was not pleased with it. I didn't feel there was any closure and for it to end the way it did well, I didn't like that part of it. But, if you're a fan of Picoult's, you'll like this one.

In running news, my shoe fitting was very enlightening....and expensive. The fitting was free; the shoes that are best suited to my feet are probably the priciest in the store. And unfortunately, they didn't have the 10 1/2 (My feet are growing!) in stock so I have to wait for them to come in. Bummer. I was raring to go but alas, I shall wait. They are Karhu's and they're Finnish. How's that for fancy!

Also - John and I made it to Valley Vineyards on Saturday for a little wine tasting. It was kind of a drive through the back country roads but it was well worth the trip down to Morrow. For $5.00, we sampled 9 sweet wines including their ice wine. They were all delicious! We bought a bottle of the Catawba (my pick) and the Dechaunac (John's). They also have a dry sampler that I think we'll go for next time. I also had a glass of their cab sav and we shared their delicious cheese plate. It was such a nice afternoon. We need people to visit us so we can take them there. Hint, hint.

So all in all, a fab weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!