Sunday, June 26, 2011

Recipe Re-blog #25

Big week in the kitchen! I must have been feeling ambitious because I tried three new recipes. We also brought back Super Summer Sunday Salad Supper! Eating a salad for dinner is very exciting for me. I always feel like I'm being super healthy.


BBQ Chicken Salad with Creamy BBQ Cilantro Lime Dressing: Oh my stars, this was a hit! I wanted to bathe in this dressing. Just because it has creamy in the name doesn't mean you can't lighten in up with fat free or low fast sour cream and mayo. I was able to use a lot of fresh cilantro from the garden too. My cilantro plant is going gangbusters so I find myself searching for uses while it's growing...and free! The BBQ chicken part of it was just simple grilled chicken but there was also a corn succotash mixed in that had a lot of flavor. Please try this!

Rosemary Cornbread: I already had this recipe printed out for a future baking but decided at the last minute, like before I ran my 5 miles on Sunday, that it would pair nicely with the salad listed above. And so, Super Summer Sunday Salad Supper becomes SSSSS with bread! For some reason, I have always wanted to make my own cornbread but always seem to reach for the Jiffy (good ol' Jiffy). Because my garden's rosemary is also going gangbusters I thought this would be a good use for my first foray. I had all ingredients on hand and it mixed up quickly. It was tasty although a touch dry. I may or may not have cut the oil amount down which is probably where my lack of moisture came from. Next time, full allotment of oil. We ate half the loaf and were good little fitness freaks and froze the other half.

Renaissance of Tuna Casserole: My friend Rachael Ray comes through again! My sister turned me onto this recipe when I visited earlier this month. Instead of my typical Wendy's drive-thru run immediately upon landing in Austin, she had leftovers of this waiting. How nice! I guess that's what happens when you arrive at a normal hour. This came together lightning fast. I even sprung for the sun-dried tomatoes which I normally wouldn't do. $4 a jar! They really added a nice layer of flavor. Not a very saucy dish but that's okay, the taste makes up for it. I substituted shells for fettucine because that's what I had. I also realized far too late that I was out of peas. Blast! But, this was a good little pasta dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!