Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Two Kisses for Maddy



Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Loss and Love by Matt Logelin has been making its way around the blog world for awhile now. This is probably due to the fact that Logelin is, himself, a blogger as well. While I have never read or followed his blog, I knew of his story and wanted to read his book. So, here we are.


In 2008 after having been together for 12 years, Matt and Liz were expecting their first child. A relatively difficult pregnancy that ended with Liz on extended bed rest in the hospital fortunately resulted in a beautiful baby girl, Madeline. The day after Maddy's birth, Liz suffers a pulmonary embolism and dies. Matt is left behind to grieve and raise his daughter on his own. The book chronicles the year following Liz's death, also the first year of Maddy's life. Logelin discusses his grieving process and his attempts to hold his broken life together for the sake of his daughter.


I knew going in that this would be an incredibly sad memoir. How could it not be? I am not am overly emotional person so I did not expect to cry through this entire book. How wrong I was. No, I wasn't sobbing while reading and I didn't cry at everything but I probably cried through at least a portion of it every time I picked it up. It's a terribly devastating story. If you are feeling low, you should not pick this as an uplifting read.


Rating: * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!