Thursday, September 8, 2011

Bossypants

LOTS of books read in the last couple weeks, folks. Gotta play catch up on the reviews. I have been on the hold list for Bossypants, a memoir by Tina Fey, for quite some time. It's gotten a lot of good reviews in the paper and was recommended to me in a number of places. So, I've been waiting not so patiently for this one.


Bossypants chronicles Fey's formative years in the improv world and her training in theatre as she pursued her dream of comedy. She describes being a woman in the traditionally male-dominated world of improv and comedy on television. And quite a successful woman at that. Bossypants shows the journy from improv to writing for and then starring on Saturday Night Live and culminating with her starring on and executive producing the hit show, 30 Rock. The memoir talks about her family and her upbringing but also contains a number of hilarious and interesting anecdotes from her time working with various celebrities and how her popular dead-on Sarah Palin impression came to be.


I really enjoyed this memoir. It was a quick read and I laughed out loud a number of times. Being a writer already, Fey was able to produce a well-written memoir rather than those written by some other celebrities who have no business in front of a keyboard. If you're a Fey fan, check this out for sure.


Rating: * * * * 1/2



P.S. I finally saw The Help a couple weeks ago. Highly recommend! I read it when it first came out in 2009 and loved it then. I liked the screen interpretation a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!