Sunday, September 25, 2011

Recipe Re-blog #38

I love hosting gatherings that allow me to try lots of new recipes. Last week, we had the return of Wine Night with friends of ours. The theme was Italian and all wines selected, even the budget bottle, were tasty. So was the food, if I do say so myself.

Italian Chicken over Pasta in a Lemon Thyme Cream Sauce: I was hoping for a lighter creamy pasta dish and this did not disappoint. I cut the heavy cream in half subbing in fat free half and half for the other portion and I don't think the end result suffered one bit. The chicken cooked up easily as well. However, you do not need 1 1/2 cups of flour for the dredge. 1 cup will do just fine. I made the chicken ahead of time and brought it up to temp in the oven. The recipe also calls for this but I think you could finish it in the pan and safely skip the oven time.


Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti: This is a Giada de Laurentiis recipe. It features Nutella. Man, is that stuff good. Even the cashier at Walmart told me how much she loves Nutella. These were easy to make but to me, weren't traditional biscotti. They were more cookie-like in nature. I skipped the chopped hazelnuts because I couldn't find them. I don't think they were lacking because of this. I cut the recipe in half and it still made plenty.

Italian Cookies: Is that the most generic name for a recipe or what? I made a cookie tray to accompany the gelato I served for dessert. It featured these and the above recipe. These cookies don't have a whole lot of flavor. I added a glaze and colored sprinkles to jazz them up. However, because the gelato and other cookies were so sweet, it ended up being okay that these were on the less sweet side. I cut this one in half too.

All three get sleeves in my recipe binder this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!