Tuesday, September 6, 2011

An Echo In The Bone



An Echo in The Bone is the most recently released book of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. You guys, I have been diligently working my way through these large tomes for 2 years and I finally made it the Book #7. Don't read this review if you plan on starting the series at some point because, though I won't spoil this book, obviously there will be spoilers from the previous books.


In Echo, Jamie and Claire are still trying to make a life for themselves in North Carolina on Fraser's Ridge. Unfortunately, the Revolution is brewing all around them and they eventually find themselves sucked right into the middle of it all. Knowing what they know about the outcome of these events, they find themselves having to play both sides carefully. Brianna and Roger have traveled back through the stones with Jem and Mandy to the 1980's to fix Mandy's heart murmur that Claire discovered in the last book but knew she could not operate on herself in the limited medical advancement for the 18th century (how's that for a run-on sentence!?) It is also in Echo that Brianna and Roger discover, through a series of letters written to them in the future by Claire and Jamie, that the Frasers have not succumbed to death by conflagration, as the newspaper article they found had reported.


OK, so we also have Ian, who is most interested in taking a wife but at the same time is hunted by Arch Bug for the murder (by Ian's hand) of Arch's wife. Lord John Grey and son (Jamie's) Willie are, obviously, Loyalists and fight as Redcoats against Jamie and the other team, exactly what Jamie had been hoping to avoid. A strange fellow has come back inquiring about Fergus' background and also, poor Ian the elder is dying which the Frasers discover as they finally make their way back to Lallybroch in Scotland.


Phew!


My friends, that doesn't even begin to chip away at the tip of the iceberg. This was a serious page turner. I even stayed up until 10:20 pm on a work night to finish it. Madness! I might not have devoured it so quickly had I not read that the next book should be released some time in 2012. Silly me, I thought this was the last book! How excited I was to find myself incorrect, especially after the cliffhangers Gabaldon left me with. An Echo in The Bone will not disappoint. Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!