Monday, September 17, 2012

Let's Pretend This Never Happened

Source
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by blogger Jenny Lawson had a really funny title so I snapped it up at my library after a short wait on the hold list. I don't read her blog but the book got reviews as being funny and witty. I'm always up for a laugh. Plus, the cover art is really funny.

Good Reads' Synopsis: In the #1 New York Times bestseller, Let’s Pretend This Never Happened, Lawson takes readers on a hilarious journey recalling her bizarre upbringing in rural Texas, her devastatingly awkward high school years, and her relationship with her long-suffering husband, Victor. Chapters include: “Stanley the Magical, Talking Squirrel”; “A Series of Angry Post-It Notes to My Husband”; “My Vagina Is Fine. Thanks for Asking”; “And Then I Snuck a Dead Cuban Alligator on an Airplane.” Pictures with captions (no one would believe these things without proof) accompany the text.

What I Thought: There were definitely some funny stories here but none were really laugh out loud for me. More amusing than anything, I'd say. The problem with bloggers is that they tend to get really wordy. Trust me, I know. It often took Lawson a long time to make her point. I realize you're supposed to have fun on the journey but the journey went on a bit too slowly for my liking. If you read her blog, you'll probably like this one. Otherwise, probably skip it.

Rating: * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!