Wednesday, September 5, 2012

This Week's Brews

Hi friends. One new pumpkin and a mixed bag for you too. Let's jump in, shall we!




This is Pumpkinhead by Shipyard. It retails for $8.99/6 pack. In my quest to find and try amazing pumpkin beers, I'm learning that sometimes I have to move further away from the breweries I normally test. Such is the case with Shipyard as I don't believe I've ever had anything from them before. I found this quite pumpkinny. However, what is really noticeable are all the spices. They're very up front and forward, nutmeg, clove, etc. You get more of the pumpkin on the back end. 

From the website: "crisp refreshing wheat ale with delightful aromatics and a subtle spiced flavor." 

Well, not so subtle on the spice but worth a glass anyway.


This will be a bit difficult as the picture is from my iphone but I'll do my best on a quick, tasting note. I'm not sure what the theme this week was but we'll just go with it. Generous tastes are a buck a piece. 

From left to right......

Great Lakes Oktoberfest: I've had this before and I still like it. One of the more crisp Oktoberfests out there.

Newcastle Werewolf: This Irish Red that was just so so. The name was better than the beer. Drinkable but nothing special.

Rogue Mocha Porter: Mmmm, porter. If you like porters, this will not disappoint. Smoky and dark with a hint of mocha flavor. Probably the priciest by the 6 but definitely worth trying.

21st Amendment Hop Crisis: I tried this knowing full well I despise IPA. I should have known better with hop in the name. FAR too bitter for me but if you like IPA, the guy at the store said this one is a favorite and often sells out.

Brooklyn Brewery Monster Ale: This is a barley wine ale. It was easy drinking but also nothing to write home about. If you're going to get something from Brooklyn Brewery, get the Black Chocolate Stout. Thank me later.





For some reason, the bottle above was label-less, so here it is on its own.

Happy tasting everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!