Sunday, October 28, 2012

Recipe Reblog: Comfort Foods

Where did Indian Summer go in Ohio? I woke up this weekend to cold, dreary blah days. You know what cures those kind of days? Comfort foods! I have two winners for you this week. Hope you're hungry!

Smoky Turkey Shepherd's Pie: This one comes from Rachael Ray so it's supposedly a 30 minute meal. I'm here to tell you, with all the chopping and prep work it took my sous chef and me longer than said 30 minutes. Adjust your time goals accordingly. It was worth it. Tasty dish! This meal is veggie-rific! Carrots, celery, red pepper, peas. Using ground turkey keeps it on the light side too. I substituted greek yogurt for the sour cream. I did not have smoked paprika. Rachael says you can use regular paprika and cumin for the same results. One word of warning, this meal looks pretty disgusting. Don't let that throw you off. It was also a bit runnier than I would have liked. It calls for 2 cups of broth but you can probably use 1 1/2 to help tighten it up. A perfect Sunday dinner.

Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Noodles: The advent of fall means the return of crockpot meals. This is a Better Homes and Gardens recipe but I couldn't find it on their site. I have it in a cookbook. Oh, we really enjoyed this one. John tipped the remaining sauce into his mouth and when I caught him doing it he said, "we must never speak of this." Sorry. Your wife is a blogger. All material is fair game. This also has lots of veggie power to it. It says it serves 6 with 2 lbs of chicken. I used 1 lb of chicken breasts but kept the sauce amount the same and it was great. It was very saucy but I like saucy noodles. You could also serve this over biscuits but the egg noodles (they also sell whole wheat in the same shape) were easier and healthier. We cooked it overnight because doing it for 10 hours while we were at work would have been too long. Next time though, I'll throw in the chicken frozen and then it will take the full 10. Winner winner chicken dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!