Thursday, February 7, 2013

Beer Me: Stouts

I tried two new stouts last weekend while out to dinner with John and my in-laws. The restaurant had a great craft beer selection with lots to choose from on bottle and draft and pretty reasonably priced too. All things considered.



This is the 2X Stout from Southern Tier Brewing Co. that I've had my eye on for awhile. I'm just starting to really discover milk stouts but unfortunately, John's not really a fan of them so I didn't want to buy a 6-pack of it. Luckily, it was on the menu so I ordered one up.

From the site: "Milk stout, also called cream or sweet stout, is a stout containing lactose a sugar derived from milk. Because lactose is unfermentable by beer yeast, it adds it adds sweetness and body to the finished beer."

They say you are tasting roasted malt and light sweetness, creamy with chocolatey notes....and they were right! It has a little bitterness to it but nothing overpowering and I'll attribute that to the 2X level making it 7.5% ABV. I was glad to try it but I was also glad that I didn't have to drink a whole 6 pack. There are others I like better.


Source


Oatmeal stouts are quickly becoming a favorite of mine for their dark smoothness and finish. I had never had anything from Founders Brewing Co. before but when I saw the Breakfast Stout on the menu, I just had to try it.

From the site: " The coffee lover’s consummate beer. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and imported chocolates, and Sumatra and Kona coffee, this stout has an intense fresh-roasted java nose topped with a frothy, cinnamon-colored head that goes forever."

I liked this one a lot! It's their winter seasonal so get it while you can. Tons of coffee flavor going on here and super smooth. No smokiness whatsoever. 


What stouts are you into these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!