Monday, February 25, 2013

Curtains Up

When we first moved into our house 2 1/2 years ago, I went on a mad scrambling decorating spree. There was so much more house to fill than our previous condo and we had just spent a boatload of money. I struggled with quality versus cost. Heck, I still struggle with that. In the living room, 3 windows needed coverings. I envisioned a silk dupioni curtain in a rich slate blue that pooled on the ground. After scouring stores and internets, I landed on quite a compromise. Cheap, shiny satin curtains in the wrong blue, but they did pool. At first, I loved the pooling and hoped that it made them look more expensive. I was fooling myself. I grew to hate them, quickly. They were only $6 a panel. I couldn't even have purchased fabric for that price. The pooling got annoying come vacuum time and Sadie was forever hiding toys in them.

See? Disgusting.




Thus ensued a years long search for replacements. Again, not wanting to break the bank, I struggled. Do you know how expensive window coverings are? A pretty penny. But, I lucked out a few weeks ago at the Ballard Design outlet. This fantastic apple green linen with a strong geometric pattern was on sale for $15/yard. Yea hooray!



It originally retails for $24/yard so even though it was still a little more than I wanted to spend, I got a great deal. The quality is unmatched.

This past Saturday, I took to my machine.



And a few hours of cutting, sewing, ironing, and then ironing some more. I had myself some new curtains!


Ignore the Valentine's decor still on the mantel





I didn't line them but I think I will eventually. A lining will give them more weight and ground them a bit better. For now, they're fine.


I didn't take a picture of the whole living room but trust me when I tell you these babies really brighten up the place. I also switched out some artwork to add more lightness. The couch and loveseat are both brown as is the new leather ottoman we finally latched onto so the pops of color are very necessary.

If anyone has a need for 6 blue, satiny 96" panels, they are yours!

Also, this constitutes my February sewing project so two months into 2013 and my Sewing Challenge is still in tact.


What changes have you been making in your living spaces lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!