Monday, February 18, 2013

MWF Seeking BFF

Source

I powered up my Kindle recently to read MWF seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend , a memoir by Rachel Bertsche. So far, I love my Kindle but I don't love not having free access to all of the books I want to read. Oh well, can't have it all.

Good Reads' Synopsis: "When Rachel Bertsche first moves to Chicago, she’s thrilled to finally share a zip code with her boyfriend. But shortly after getting married, she realizes that her new life is missing one thing: friends. Sure, she has plenty of BFFs—in New York and San Francisco and Boston and Washington, D.C. Still, in her adopted hometown, there’s no one to call at the last minute for girl talk over brunch or a reality-TV marathon over a bottle of wine. Taking matters into her own hands, Bertsche develops a plan: Meeting people everywhere from improv class to friend rental websites, she'll go on fifty-two friend-dates, one per week for a year, in hopes of meeting her new Best Friend Forever."

What I Thought: I could have written every word of this book myself. Well, the parts about wanting more friends....not the parts where she goes on 52 girl-dates over a year. That, I haven't done yet. But all of the feelings of loneliness, the difficulties of making friends in your late 20's, longing for more closer friends, hanging out almost exclusively with my husband in a city I transplanted to, all resonated so strongly with me that I found myself nodding in agreement while reading. What? Don't tell me you've never done that too. Anyway. Bertsche's story is encouraging because while it was a year full of hard effort and putting herself out there, she did end up with lots of friends. It has inspired me to reinvigorate my friend search. Unfortunately, Dayton is not Chicago and there are fewer opportunities here. I mustn't lose hope though. I WILL find more friends. If you too are feeling a dearth of friends. give this a read and see if you can't pick up some tips, and you'll laugh a little along the way.

Rating: * * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!