Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

I started The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz on vacation. This was mistake #1. TBWLOW is not a beach read by any stretch of the imagination. Mistake #2 was, apparently, taking French in high school as a good percentage of this book was in Spanish. Not whole paragraphs but enough interjected sentences that I had no clue what was being said. Backing up, this is the story of Oscar de Leon, a sad nerdy boy and his struggles. It also paints the story of his sister, Lola, mother Beli, and various other family members throughout history and their life under the curse of Trujillo. This book was recommended by someone I can't remember and since it was on the front shelves of my library, I picked it up. How Diaz won the Pulitzer for this is beyond me. I suppose the writing was lyrical but with the Spanish and the disjointed storylines and all of the characters and their names.....ENOUGH ALREADY! I can't, in good conscience, recommend this book to you. Sorry. It's one of those books I should have put down around page 100 but I kept reading, just hoping it would pick up. Not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!