Thursday, June 18, 2009

Master Your Metabolism

I decided to try out another health book so I got Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels from the library. This is not a book that outlines a workout plan but rather focuses on hormones and removing the bad from your diet and life in general. I am a fan of Jillian's work on Biggest Loser so I thought I would enjoy this book. It's written very conversationally. If Jillian irks you on TV, you will not be able to handle this book. It's also extremely repetitive. She spends the entire first chapter reiterating the 3 main points covered throughout the rest of the book. Not necessary. But, she gives a lot of good information on how hormones, diet, pesticides, etc. can be the main cause of a lot of human deficiencies with thyroid, insulin, etc. All things that are tied back to metabolism. I actually did find a lot of good information in Master Your Metabolism. She presents a 2 week diet plan that should give you the building blocks for healthy eating lifestyles. Now, I'm not one for diet plans. I have NEVER gone on a strictly prescribed diet. All of my food choices are dictated by what I think is healthy, or sometimes not so healthy. I can see how her plan would help you lose weight as it's a drastic reduction in calories. However, the amount of food she is allowing in her meals would leave me gnawing my arm off. Also, she doesn't really advocate carbs in the evening. This doesn't really jive with the low fat butter pecan ice cream John just brought home. She spends a good amount of time preaching organics too. That's all well and good but I can't afford a cart full of organics. Sorry, Jillian. I'd like to master my metabolism but not at the cost of butter pecan. It's worth a read if you're interested in how hormones affect your weight. Lots of good informaiton throughout and a lot of good recipes at the end that I should have copied down before I returned it. DRAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!