Monday, June 29, 2009

The Bluest Eye

Sorry for the crappy picture. It's the cover of Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye. This is an old book. It was an Oprah pick and it may have won the Pulitzer at some point, I'm too lazy to look it up. Anyway, it's a pretty depressing story about two black families living in Lorain of all places. I'm also too lazy for a full review. This was just OK. I've read one other Morrison and I did like it, but I couldn't get into this book. So, it just gets added to the tally, not the must read recommendations.



In other news........all last week I was starving by 9:00 am at work even though I had been eating the same cereal (Fiber One for life yo!) and packing the same snacks. I thought maybe I should switch up the breakfast or add more fruit or something. Then, I thought, Oatmeal! Now, I'm not the biggest fan of oatmeal, mostly because of the consistency and it's pretty bland unless you doctor it up good but I'm giving it a shot anyway. So, this morning was my first adult foray into the hot cereal world. A bonus on oatmeal's side is that it's WAY cheaper than the F1. I pay top dollar for that and oatmeal was less then $2 for a big ol' tub. I thought it would take too long to make with my rushed morning routine but it was only 2 minutes in the microwave. I put in some maple syrup. Alas, we were out of brown sugar. A couple bites -- which burned my tongue (advantage F1) and I decided it needed more help. I added a little sugar and honey, which did the trick. So, I had measured out a normal serving, 1/2 cup. Holy cow that's a LOT of oatmeal. I was only halfway through the bowl, which I had to eat slowly due to its temperature and it was almost time for me to leave. I didn't even have my makeup on yet. Cripe! I took the oatmeal in the bathroom and ate while I made myself glamorous (ha!) 6:30 and I'm still not finished plus I'm super full. I pawned the rest of the bowl off on John, an oatmeal afficionado, and headed out the door. I didn't find myself as hungry throughout the morning but I also packed double fruit as snacks. So, today's results from the oatmeal experiment were inconclusive. Stay tuned......

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!