Sunday, June 7, 2009

My how the garden does grow!















This is the garden on my balcony! In a 6'x9' space, also shared with an unusable grill and some chairs, I have a hanging bacopa (not pictured), hanging basil (also not pictured), dahlias (they're in the painted pots waiting for their time to bloom. And the piece de resistance! My tomatoes and herb babies! I don't like tomatoes but I do like things with tomatoes in them. Namely bruschetta and salsa. So come mid-July, I'm hoping to harvest a bumper crop of Celebrity heirlooms for some homegrown culinary creations. And, John likes tomatoes so he can eat the ones I don't use in things. I'm also tempted to try my hand at spaghetti sauce. Stay tuned! In addition to my tomato plant is the return of my herb babies! This year I chose only 4 varieties thinking that giving them a little more room in their beds might help them prosper. I was right! From left to right there's: sage, thyme, spearmint, and rosemary. Tonight was the first time I used the thyme (ha!) on some chicken. This week I have plans for sage in two recipes and this weekend we're having guests so I'm going to use the mint in mojitos. Watch out now! I'm also serving my white sangria but I don't have any homegrown ingredients in that. It's just tasty. I'll post the recipe later this week. It's super refreshing in the summer.

Also a big success was week two of Super Summer Salad Suppers! I did a Southwestern Salad with lettuce (obvi), corn, black beans, chicken, cheese and a homemade Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette that I was pretty proud of. Next week I think we're doing a Steak Salad with a bleu cheese dressing, homemade of course.

Facing down a LONG week ahead but really looking forward to our guests this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!