Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sunday Slumber

I don’t have a Super Summer Sunday Salad Supper for you this week (or next week) but I do have a Sunday-related topic for you, even though it’s Tuesday. More of a complaint, if you will. For me, Sunday night provides the absolute worst night of sleep out of the entire week. I never wake up rested and it always takes far longer than normal for me to finally fall asleep. This has been the case throughout my life but it just keeps getting worse and worse. It makes for a very tired Monday, already an inauspicious day to be sure.

Try as I might, I cannot keep to the same sleep schedule on the weekend and I know this lapse is detrimental to my Sunday slumber. Who wants to go to bed at 10:00 on a Friday? Well, if I’m home, usually I am asleep on the couch by 10:00 but that’s beside the point. I also do not bother to wake up at 5:30 on Saturday or Sunday. Who would?! On Saturday, I get up to take Sadie out in the morning when she jumps off the bed but then I fall promptly back to sleep for a couple hours. Sunday mornings, however, are John’s day for morning Sadie duty. It’s so peaceful to just roll over when he takes her out, roll over again when he can’t fall back to sleep and finally gets up to make coffee for us. What a delight!

All of these things, combined with, in all likelihood, a glass or two of wine to unwind on a Sunday night and we have quite a tossing, turning problem on our hands. I realize I am impeding my own sleep progress by throwing off my schedule AND imbibing the wine but what fun is a weekend if you can’t break the routine?

What is to be done about this insomnia? Probably nothing I’m willing to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!