Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dead to the World

It’s been awhile since I read a Sookie Stackhouse book so I thought it was time to revisit the series. I’m way into True Blood on HBO now. Each season follows a whole book. I have read up through the 3rd book and am watching the new showing third season so Dead to the World won’t be happening until next year. But, I read it all the same.

At the end of the previous book (Club Dead), Sookie and Bill have pretty much called it quits. Sookie had to kill Bill’s maker, Lorena. Bill had lied to Sookie about a whole bunch of nonsense and she didn’t take too kindly to that. So, at the beginning of Dead to the World, Bill tells Sookie he’ll be out of the country on an assignment. He leaves and is gone for most of the book. Yea! I don’t really like Bill. On New Year’s Eve, Sookie is driving home from work when she sees Eric running through the woods. She picks him up and soon realizes his memory is gone. He has no idea who she is or what he’s doing in the woods, half-clothed. He does, however, know he’s a vampire. Turns out, some local witches have cast a spell on him to cause his amnesia in an attempt to steal his businesses. Sookie finds herself in the position of vampire guardian while she and Eric’s vamp friends try to figure out what the witches are up to and how to restore his memory.

Meanwhile, Jason, Sookie’s brother, has disappeared under mysterious circumstances. In addition to guarding Eric from the witches, she must now also find out what happened to Jason and where he is. Poor Sookie, can’t catch a break.

I liked Dead to the World a lot. I much prefer Eric over Bill so I was glad to see Bill gone and Eric (though not quite himself) playing a major role in this storyline. Charlaine Harris continues to keep things interesting by introducing even more supernatural beings and developing the characters we have already come to know and love. Of course it was an easy and fast read but if you’re working your way through this series like I am, I think you’ll really enjoy Dead to the World too!


P.S. This was my 30th read of 2010, and my 300th blog post for the last 2 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!