Thursday, August 26, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

I think that Young Adult literature has replaced my previous guilty reading pleasure of chick lit. Chick lit just doesn't really do it for me anymore. Young Adult Lit, on the other hand, is often very interesting and a genre not to be dismissed just because you're over the age of Young Adult. I'm 27. I'm a full adult now, right? Well, anyway, this one was highly recommended on a number of book boards and without knowing a single thing about it, I checked it out from the library.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan is told in alternating chapters by two high school boys both named Will Grayson in various parts of Illinois. Both Will Graysons are struggling to find their niche in life in their own way and always being brooding and moody. One Will has a best friend, Tiny Cooper, who is gay and putting on a musical about his life and and gay love life. The second Will Grayson has only one partial friend and maintains an online relationship with someone named Isaac. Get it? It's not nearly as confusing when you're actually reading it. And one of the authors writes all of his chapters in lowercase, just in case you forget which Will you're hearing from. Anyway, eventually both Wills' lives converge under very strange circumstances. They affect each other without really affecting each other at all, sort of. This was an awful synopsis.

I read a number of reviews that mentioned how hilarious this book was but I didn't really find it funny at all. I also didn't find any of the characters super relatable. Does that doubly mean I'm a full adult? Anyway, it was a nice departure from some of my recent reads and thought the subject matter was presented with a fresh approach. It was a fast read. I liked it, but I didn't love it.



P.S. Can. Not. Wait. For. GLEE. To. Come. BACK!
P.P.S. In the rerun of Glee that I'm watching while I type this, one of the guest stars is also on True Blood. Love when I recognize bit parts played by actors from other shows. Whee for Glee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!